BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chicken gumbo

As part of a "Teach me Tuesdays" link up from http://www.richandsarahchristensen.blogspot.com/, I will be sharing my chicken gumbo recipe that my husband and I absolutely love. Thanks Sarah, for giving me something else to link-up to.





The wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can alter the spiciness simply by using less or more hot sauce than what it calls for. I use just the recommended amount for a little kick that is not too overpowering.

For this recipe you will need:

1/4 cup oil for frying
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast meat
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid
1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 dashes hot sauce

I omit the parsley and mushrooms every time I make it, and it's still fabulous. My hubby doesn't even know it calls for mushrooms, or I would have to put them in there, lol.

Note: If you are a family of more than 3, I recommend doubling this recipe. Our daughter will not eat this, so it's just David and I who do, but I still double it for leftovers.

Directions are as follows:

1.Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture is the color of a copper penny. Reduce heat to low and stir in bell pepper and onion. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
2.Add chicken, tomatoes with green chile peppers, mushrooms, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Stir together, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.


0 comments: